71st Avenue Improvements12th to 22nd Street
In 2010, 71st Avenue was widened to meet City standards from 10th to 12th Street in accordance with a development agreement with King Soopers in the Northgate Development. The 71st Avenue project will pick up from where that project left off and widen 71st from 12th Street to 22nd Street. As part of this project the existing Sheep Draw bridge, which is currently undersized for passing major event flood waters, will be reconstructed.
Additionally, an 8’ sidewalk and attached 7’ bike lanes will be installed within these limits in order improve pedestrian safety for the corridor as well as to allow for on street bike connection to the 20th Street intersection and beyond. Other enhancements include a striped/raised median with landscaping improvements along the limits of the project.
Completion of this project is phased over three years (2017 – 2019) to allow for design and right of way acquisition in the first year and the Sheep Draw bridge replacement and roadway construction the second year.
Reasons for Project:
In 2010, 71st Avenue was widened to city standards from 10th Street to 12th Street in accordance with a development agreement with King Soopers in the Northgate Development.
• The existing Sheep Draw Bridge is undersized for passing major flood water, and the roadway from 12th Street to 22nd Street is a rural 2-lane paved road in deteriorating condition.
• Sidewalks and bike paths are needed to improve pedestrian and cyclist safety.
• The existing roadway condition is deteriorating and in need of improvements.
• New 16th Street connection and athletic fields will increase traffic on 71st Avenue.
Project is primarily funded out of the Keep Greeley Moving (0.65% sales tax) and the Arterial Street Fund. The Arterial Street fund receives fees collected on building permits for new structures and their impact on the transportation system
• Completion of this project is phased over three years (2017 – 2019) to allow for design and right of way acquisition in the first year and the Sheep Draw bridge replacement and roadway construction the second year. Installation of landscaping will be completed by 2019.
• The project will widen 71st Avenue to one lane in each direction with a center turn lane with raised and landscaped medians where possible.
• Project will add curb and gutter and 8-foot attached/detached sidewalks along with 7-foot bike lanes to both the east and west sides of 71st Avenue.